Friday, May 3, 2013

Food, Health Benefits and Seasonal Allergies

I haven't been as active on this blog as I wanted to be this week.  We are having some major sleep issues with baby girl.  She's never been a great sleeper, but lately there is something going on.  After discussing it with doctors, we have come to one conclusion:  we have no idea!!!  So frustrating!  Could be separation anxiety, the slight (but not large enough to be treated) ear infection, food, or teething.  So it's just monitoring and keeping a close log of food intake and sleep habits.  So needless to say, much of my spare time has been spent reading things to help us solve this problem in the long wrong.  So enough about my week, let's discuss allergies!

You've heard me discuss the health benefits of fruits and vegetables before, but let's talk about the benefits of these foods in combating spring allergies.  My entire family has hay fever and seasonal allergies.  My allergies have been pretty bad this week: itchy eyes, runny nose, headache.  And my toddler has been sneezing his little head off.I'll do anything to help my symptoms.  So why not eat the foods that could help?

8 foods that fight spring allergies:
Citrus, grapes, broccoli, collards, onions, garlic, nuts, apples, fish

Eat local honey! Research shows that eating local honey created by the same pollen that might be causing your seasonal allergies can help reduce your symptoms.   Check out this article:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/allergies/allergy-treatments/local-honey-for-allergies.htm

Here are a few more health benefits of fruits and vegetables:




1 comment: