Thursday, May 9, 2013

Balsamic Glazed Roasted Salmon with Snap Peas & Edamame



This meal can be put together in less than 20 minutes, from start to finish!  And its so yummy!!!  I wish I made extra to have for lunch a few times this week.  Eating it twice just wasn't enough!  The kids love the bright green vegetables, and even if they didn't eat them all, I was able to get my oldest to try new things.  I also made two kinds of fish, both on sale this week.  I made salmon for me and my husband, but chose to make cod for the kids since its much more mild in flavor.  It was a hit and if I had a regular meal rotation, this would definitely make the cut!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

Balsamic Glazed Roasted Salmon with Snap Peas & Edamame
recipe from Giada DeLaurentis http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/balsamic-glazed-salmon-recipe/index.html 
For the Glaze:
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 T maple syrup
1T dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced

For the Salmon:
Four 6-ounce center-cut salmon fillets, skinned  (I used about 3/4 of a pound each of salmon and cod.  I had to skin the salmon myself...yuck.  Next time I'll remember to ask at the grocery store)
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
 
For the Vegetables:
2 T olive oil
1 large or 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame
2 cups sugar snap peas (I used one 8 oz package), halved

For the glaze: In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and garlic to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until thick, about 12 minutes. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.

For the salmon: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Line a small baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray (or use parchment paper). Arrange the salmon (and/or cod) on the baking sheet.  Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Roast until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
Before...
And after!
Close up of the roasted salmon - it was so good and easy that I would make it this way anytime I wanted a piece of salmon!
And the kids LOVED the cod!  So buttery, flaky, and light.  Perfect for people who want a mild fish.

For the vegetables: In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, and cook until the shallots are softened, about 3 minutes. 
 
Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the edamame and snap peas and cook until warmed through, about 3 minutes.

You still want them to have a crunch and be yummy!  Season with salt and pepper.

Divide the vegetable mixture among 4 serving plates. Top with a piece of salmon and drizzle with the glaze.

Before I added the glaze.
Ready to serve!  Seriously so delicious!  Better than some I've had at a restaurant. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment