Sunday, November 24, 2013

Week 47 - rediscovering leftovers

Thanksgiving is this week!  I LOVE thanksgiving, not just because all the food is so yummy, but because of all that it stands for.  I'm sure Thanksgiving means something different for each person, but for me if means family and giving thanks.  It means taking the time out of our super busy lives to be thankful for all the things in our life that you may not otherwise take the time to be thankful for on a daily basis.

This year, my immediate family (mom, dad, brother, and sister-in-law) are coming to stay with us for Thanksgiving.  We'll all be in the kitchen, making our family favorite side dishes and helping each other along the way.   Since they will all be driving in on Thanksgiving day, we will most likely make our big meal on Friday this year.  Kinda strange, but totally worth the wait for all that family fun time in the kitchen together.  Yes, I could cook it all myself and have it ready for them when they arrive on Thursday - but it wouldn't be the same - we all really do enjoy cooking together.  It is what makes Thanksgiving special for us.  

There is a lot of prepping and cooking for this great feast.  To give myself a break on the other days this week, I am cooking meals around things I have to use up in the freezer (such as previous meals I've frozen and some things I've bought pre-made from the freezer section of Trader Joe's).  So I'm getting creative on how to use some of my leftovers, re-creating things to look like something totally new.  I hope that I give you some ideas.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  Enjoy your week and your turkey day celebration!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

Week 47 - November 24, 2013

Sunday:  date night

Monday:   BBQ Chicken pizza with grilled red onion, smoked gouda, mozzerella, arugula (using leftover shredded Beer BBQ chicken that I froze)
http://deliciouslydomesticdining.blogspot.com/2013/09/crockpot-beer-bbq-shredded-chicken.html

Tuesday:   Nachos with chili and a southwest salad (using leftover chili that I froze)
http://deliciouslydomesticdining.blogspot.com/2013/10/vegetable-beef-and-bean-chili.html

Wednesday:   Kung Pao Chicken, Vegetable Lo Mein, and Shu Mai (frozen from Trader Joe's)

Thursday:   (dinner the day before our thanksgiving feast)  I'm gonna roast a turkey breast for Turkey Breast sandwiches served with a few homemade soups that I have froze over the last few weeks, such as my minestrone and my kale and kielbasa soups

Friday:  Roasted Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, sausage and mushroom stuffing, roasted butternut squash and brussel sprouts, green bean casserole, garlicky kale & collard greens, mac n cheese, apple pie, pumpkin oreo mini cheesecakes

Saturday:  leftovers

No comments:

Post a Comment