Monday, November 4, 2013

Crockpot Beer Brats with Onions and Sauerkraut

My family loves a good sausage sandwich every now and then, and we don't discriminate - we love the German sausage, Polish sausage, Italian sausage.  And what a great game day food - there is nothing better than a fresh brat cooked in beer and topped with some good sauerkraut and German mustard (at least we think so). 

This recipe is so simple and very good.  I would double or triple it to feed a crowd.  My husband and I ate most of it ourselves. :)  I served this with some sauteed kale.  Enjoy!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah



Crockpot Beer Brats with Onions and Sauerkraut
my version of the recipe was based on http://allrecipes.com/recipe/on-wisconsin-beer-brats/ 
1 pound of fresh brats (fresh brats are not smoked and are raw...not pre-cooked like most smoked sausages)
2 cans or bottles of light beer
2 onions, sliced
1 cup of sauerkraut, drained and rinsed (I used the kind found in the refrigerated section of your grocery store, not the canned version)
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 T brown sugar
fresh rolls to serve brats on
your favorite mustard

In the bottom of your crockpot, mix together the beer and brown sugar until the sugar is mostly dissolved.  Add the onion, garlic, sauerkraut and combine.  Then add the brats on top of everything and cook on high for 4 hours, stirring every hour if you can. 
Serve immediately as is, or you can throw the brats on the grill (as I did) to add some grill marks.  So yummy!  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment