Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chicken Parmesan Roll-ups with Spinach

All I can say is YUMMY!!!  This was better than the last chicken parm I had at a restaurant!  The ricotta/spinach filling adds to much flavor to the dish and a great way to hide veggies for those picky eaters.  Plus I love the fact that it is NOT deep fried, yet it still tastes like it is!  The hubby was raving and the kids loved the chicken (and of course they always love pasta and sauce).  I served it with extra sauce, a fun pasta shape, and a large salad.

I am totally impressed with this recipe - thanks Skinny Taste!!!  I'm making this again...soon.    It was one of those times when I couldn't wait until the next day so that I could eat the leftovers.  Hahaha!  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it...gotta go!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah
Chicken Parmesan and Spinach Rollups
 my new recipe was based on http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/chicken-rollatini-with-spinach-alla.html?m=1
1.5 lbs chicken cutlets  (there was a huge sale at my grocery store on chicken cutlets, but you can always take any boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterfly them and pound them out yourself.  There were 6 chicken cutlets in my 1.5 lb pack)
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs with 2 T Parmesan added
1 beaten egg with 1 T water
1/2 cup part skim ricotta
1/4 cup part skim mozzarella (I used the pre-shredded kind but any part skim is fine)
2 T Parmesan
2 T fresh basil
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup frozen, thawed spinach, squeezed dry (it should be 1/2 cup after you squeeze all the water away - for me, this was 1/2 of a 10 oz box of frozen spinach)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce (although you will probably only use about 1 cup on top of the chicken, you will want extra to serve on the side and/or with some pasta on the side)
1/3 cup more shredded mozzarella for the top of chicken
olive oil for drizzling

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Next, you need to create a breading station: your beaten egg (with 1 T water) in one bowl, the breadcrumbs (with 2 T Parmesan cheese added) in another bowl. 

Now mix together the spinach-ricotta mixture.  Combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, basil, onion powder, garlic, spinach, and salt & pepper to taste.

Take each chicken breast cutlet and spread a thin layer of the spinach ricotta mixture, about 2 T. 

Then gently roll it up from one end to the other, kind of like a jelly roll.
Then begin to bread the chicken by first dipping it in the egg mixture...
then into the breadcrumb/cheese mixture.
Place each chicken roll-up in a lightly greased baking pan (I greased my 9x13 with some olive oil cooking spray).  Then lightly drizzle the top of each chicken roll-up with olive oil.
Bake the chicken at 450 degrees for 25 minutes.  This step allows the chicken to cook through but also gets the outside crispy as if it were deep fried.  So yummy!
Now quickly top each chicken roll-up with a couple tablespoons of marinara, about 1 cup in total. 
Then sprinkle each with 1-2 T of shredded mozzarella and place back in the oven for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Serve immediately with some extra sauce on the side (although I didn't think it needed it, this is totally a personal preference as to how saucy you like it), along with your favorite pasta and vegetables.
This really is so incredibly awesome!  I wish I had some more right now to munch on....yummy!  I can't wait to make it again.

Also, I just wanted to mention this new pasta sauce I found at my local grocery store...it's the best, most reasonably priced, pre-made sauce that I have found to-date.  I think this sauce rivals any that I've had at some of the top Italian restaurants.  It made the dish extra yummy (and I didn't have to make it from scratch).  Plus, it happened to be on sale this week...bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment