Tuesday, November 19, 2013

One pot wonder???

One pot wonder?  Have you seen that on Pinterest or on the internet?  I have and I decided to make it - I didn't think it was so wonderful, but my husband loved it.  It was definitely an easy dinner - nothing gets easier than to throw things in the pot and let it go.  But I found that the pasta became overdone quickly (kept cooking even after the heat was turned off) and it also stuck to the bottom of the pan, (but I might have done something wrong, maybe it was the fact that I used fresh spinach instead of frozen and linguine instead of fettuccine - maybe you won't experience this).  Either way, we did enjoy the flavors of this dish and my husband REALLY liked it (he must not mind the mushy pasta - haha).  He even requested the leftovers for lunch, so you know it was a hit.  Either way, if you decide to make this, I would definitely follow the directions in the original post very carefully.  It's worth a try.  My kids were the ones who actually put everything in the pot (they LOVED that) - all I had to do was stir occasionally.  Easy, peasy...now next time I gotta figure out how to get it to not stick and not over-cook. 

Happy Cooking!
Sarah
Italian One Pot Wonder
recipe and directions below are from  http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/italian-wonderpot/
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 12 oz fettuccine(I used linguine)
  • 8 oz frozen chopped spinach (I used a 9oz package of fresh baby spinach)
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ T dried basil
  • ½ T dried oregano
  • ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
  • freshly cracked pepper to taste
  • 2 oz. feta cheese, topping (optional)
Add 4 cups of vegetable broth to a large pot.  Break the fettuccine in half (makes it easier to stir) and add to the pot.  Also add the tomatoes (undrained), olive oil, spinach, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, red pepper, and black pepper. 

Make sure that the ingredients are submerged under the liquid (this part didn't really happen for me...maybe you can do better).   Place a lid on top and turn the heat on to high.  Bring to a full, rolling boil, then turn the heat down to medium.  Allow the pot to continue to boil over medium heat WITHOUT lid now for 10-15 minutes, or until pasta is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed.  Stir every few minutes, but do not over stir otherwise pasta will become mushy.  Pot must be boiling the entire time. 

After the pasta is cooked, serve immediately (the longer it sits the pasta cooks more) and crumble the feta on top if so desired.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment