Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes

My family LOVES pancakes!!!  We try to make pancakes every weekend - the kids help me measure the ingredients and making them yourself is simple, affordable, and delicious.  Plus there are no preservatives or additives like the boxed mix you get at the store.  We can whip our pancakes together in less than 10 minutes (and that is with toddlers helping - I can do it in less than 5 if its just me).  I usually make a whole wheat buttermilk recipe, but this time we really wanted to try out pumpkin pancakes.  My son was so excited to make these!  And they were a huge hit!  All those warm fall spices you find in apple pies and pumpkin breads rolled up in your pancake.  Yummy!  We served ours with some real maple syrup (and some nitrate free bacon because we LOVE bacon) but I'm sure it would be delicious with warm homemade chunky applesauce too.  I hope you give them a try and enjoy them as much as we did.

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes
my recipe was inspired by www.motherthyme.com/2011/09/whole-wheat-pumpkin-pancakes.html
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I only had apple pie spice, so I used 1 1/4 tsp of that along with 1/4 tsp of ginger - use what you have, but pumpkin pie spice is just primarily cinnamon with nutmeg and ginger added)
1 1/4 cups of buttermilk
1 cup of pumpkin puree
1 large egg, beaten
2 T of oil (I used olive oil, but any oil is fine)

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, including the spices and sugar, until well combined.  I always like to use a whisk.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, oil, and pumpkin puree. 


Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. 
Preheat a large greased skillet or griddle (mine is a panini maker/griddle), using cooking spray, butter, or oil or your choice.  Pour desired amount of batter and spread it out (the batter is thick).   Flip the pancakes when tiny bubbles start to from around the edges.

Serve immediately as is...


or with your favorite pancake topping, such as syrup pictured below.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment