Friday, September 13, 2013

Crockpot Beer-BBQ Shredded Chicken

Another super simple and delicious recipe for the crockpot!  And I cannot take credit for this idea - I found the recipe on Pinterest and just added my own coleslaw recipe to it.  (The link is below).  So thank you to Julia, otherwise known as the "Fat girl trapped in a skinny body," as she refers to her blog. 
 
I LOVE using my crockpot and I love finding quick and easy recipes for it.  This was a hit!  This made sooooooo much - definitely can feed a crowd.  It would be great for football season!  I even brought some over to my neighbors and they loved it!  Plus, this is much healthier than other BBQ, made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  I served it with roasted broccoli and homemade baked sweet potato fries.  I hope that your family enjoys it as much as we did!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

Crockpot Beer-BBQ Shredded Chicken
recipe found at http://www.fatgirltrappedinaskinnybody.com/2012/05/bbq-beer-chicken-crockpot/
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 large)
1 T onion powder
1 T paprika
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup beer (any kind you like: dark, light, amber, whatever - I used corona light cause that's what I had in the fridge)
4 cups (32 ounces) of barbecue sauce (any kind you like - I used Dinosaur BBQ Sauce)
hamburger buns
coleslaw (I make my own...recipe at the bottom)

Combine the salt, pepper, beer, BBQ sauce, onion powder, paprika, and garlic in your crockpot and mix well with a whisk.   Then add your chicken breasts, making sure they are covered in the liquid.

Cook on high for 5-6 hours until they look like the deliciousness below.  Can you believe how deep red and rich the sauce becomes?

Remove the chicken breasts and shred with a fork.  (I apologize for the picture...the steam was definitely messing up my photography). 


Add the chicken back to the sauce and allow it to cook an additional 15 minutes on low until the chicken absorbs some of the sauce.  (I found that mine almost had too much sauce, so if you prefer your BBQ to be on the drier side, then remove some of the sauce first.  You can always add more or drizzle it on top of your sandwiches).
Serve immediately with your favorite sides!  as a sandwich, its super yummy topped off with some crunchy coleslaw.  I also ate leftovers with the coleslaw alone - no bun needed!  Enjoy!!!


To make my coleslaw follow the recipe below:

1 pkg of coleslaw mix (pre-shredded kind with the carrots)
1/2 cup of reduced fat mayo
1 tsp of celery salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 T apple cider vinegar
salt & pepper to taste

In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the coleslaw dressing first.  Then add the cabbage and carrots and stir until well combined.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but it can be made the day before. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, i have seen a recipe just like this that said to cook the chicken in Low for 6 hours. Yours says High, curious what to do.

    ReplyDelete