Tuesday, September 24, 2013

No Fat Added, Low-Sugar, Gluten free Spiced Banana Oat Breakfast Muffins

I saw this recipe on ABC's The Chew and I knew I had to make it.  This is Daphene Oz's recipe for a muffin that soothes her stomach (she's pregnant and has nasty morning sickness), BUT Clinton Kelly said they were the best muffins that he's had on the show!  As if that review didn't sell me enough, I had some over-ripe bananas in the kitchen AND my toddler loves to make muffins with me while the baby (littlest toddler) naps.  These were awesome!  And there is only 1/4 cup of sugar in the entire recipe!!!  NO FAT!!!!  Plus, they are technically gluten free since there is only oats and oat flour.  They passed as dessert for the kids, but were healthy enough for breakfast with a little almond butter smeared all over.  yummy!  Hope you all enjoy these as much as my family did.

Happy Baking!
Sarah

No Fat Added, Low-Sugar, Gluten Free Spiced Banana Oat Breakfast Muffins
recipe from
http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Banana-Oat-Muffins-Daphne-Oz?cid=pinterest_chw 
2 large ripe Bananas (mashed) 
1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk) 
1/2 cup Greek yogurt 
2 T fresh ginger (grated; juice retained)  ***note: I didn't have fresh ginger in the house, so I used 1/2 tsp ginger powder, like the kind you add to pumpkin muffins/bread 
1 T molasses 
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
1/2 cup rolled oats 
2 cups oat flour 
2 tsp baking powder 
1 tsp baking soda 
1/4 cup brown sugar 
1/2 tsp salt 
1 tsp cinnamon 
Coconut Oil to grease muffin tray

Preheat your oven to 365 degrees (yes, 365 not 375).    Mix together your dry ingredients.

In a separate bowl, mix together all the wet ingredients.
Combine the two just until mixed (DO NOT over-mix - you'll get a tough muffin).


Scoop into a greased muffin tin (I used cooking spray - Trader Joe's makes a coconut oil spray).  It is supposed to make 12 muffins, but my ice cream scoop only gave me 11.  (Yes, I use an ice cream scoop for uniform muffins).


Bake at 365 for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden brown.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Enigma lives! Tesseraction has released a single player offline version of their upcoming massively multiplayer naval game scr888 and it lives up to its potential and then some. Playing Enigma offline gives you a chance to see what this game is all about and train for the upcoming Virtual Battle of the Atlantic (and Pacific, since the Japanese/British are part of this).

    ReplyDelete