Monday, July 22, 2013

Simple Grilled Vegetables

Grilling vegetables is my go-to side dish during the summer, especially on those really hot days (which we seem to be having a lot of this summer).  Here is the basic rundown on how to fix your grilled veggies.  If you don't have a pan like the one shown in the picture below (safe for the grill), then you can use an aluminum foil packet instead (they will cook up a little differently, being steamed more than just grilled). 

Chop up your favorite combination of vegetables such as onions, peppers, mushrooms, summer, squash, and zucchini.  Toss them with salt, pepper, and olive oil.  Cook over medium-high heat on the grill in a special pan designed for the grill or in aluminum foil as I mentioned earlier.  I sometimes line my pan with aluminum foil so that they veggies don't stick and I have easy clean up.

Ready for the grill...
And after they are done...super delicious and versatile. 
On this particular night, I grilled some eggplant and summer quash separately.  I sliced them about 1/4 inch thick, length wise.  Then I brushed them with olive oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper on both sides.  Then I grilled them directly on the grill...so yummy!  Can't get enough!  These are great as sides, used in a veggie lasagna, on a salad, on a veggie sandwich with your favorite soft cheese, or just as a snack. 
I took the leftovers from dinner and created a roasted veggie salad the next day.  I started with some arugula, topped with the veggies, some feta cheese, and a squeeze of lemon.  With a little hummus and pita chips on the side, I had a delicious and filling lunch. 

I hope you give these recipes a try and enjoy them as much as we do!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment