Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Lentil Salad with fresh Peas, Mint, and Lemon

This is a simple and delicious cold lentil salad with fresh ingredients.  The best part...Trader Joe's sells cooked lentils in the produce section!  AMAZING!!!  Why not cut out the time it takes to soak, cook, and cool the lentils?  If you can't find pre-cooked lentils, then you will need to purchase green or brown lentils and cook them according to the package directions. 

I had this salad at a friends BBQ last summer.  My husband loved it so much he asked me to ask for the recipe.  My hubby wants to eat lentils and peas????  Okay!  So I immediately asked how she made it and Ive been making my version ever since.  This recipe is just the framework for a salad - you can add or substitute to make it your own.  So yummy!  Definitely give this one a try. 

Happy Cooking!
Sarah


Lentil Salad with fresh Peas, Mint, and Lemon
original recipe
1 package of Trader Joe's pre-cooked lentils (or about 3 cups of cooked lentils)
1 cup of shelled English peas (fresh, not frozen!  most grocery stores sell them already shelled in the produce section)
6 scallions, cleaned and sliced (start at the white end and go half way up the green part)
1/3 cup of freshly chopped mint
1 lemon, juiced and zested
3 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium sized bowl, break up the lentils with a spoon.
Add all the other ingredients and stir to combine.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.  This salad only gets better over time.  A great recipe to make over the weekend and have for lunches.

I originally made this salad as a side dish for my pork souvlaki recipe...you can see my lunch below!  Greek deliciousness!!!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment