Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lemon Onion Chicken with Spinach

I saw this recipe in a Food Network Magazine that my mother brought for me (she always gives me her old issues) and I knew right away that I needed to make this.  I love chicken french and chicken picatta and this is a definite relative of both of those recipes.  It's quick and simple, plus absolutely delicious!!!  The kids loved it too!  I served it with lemon parmesan roasted cauliflower and farro (my baby's new favorite grain). 

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

Lemon Onion Chicken with Spinach
my version was based on http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/four-step-lemon-onion-chicken-recipe/index.html with a few minor changes. 
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally and pound if necessary so that they cook evenly (you can also just purchase 4 chicken breast cutlets, but they cost more)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
3 T olive oil, plus 1 tsp
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (I didn't have chicken broth, so I used beef broth)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 9-ounce bag spinach

Season the chicken with the dried thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.  In a saute pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Put the flour in a shallow dish. Working in batches, dredge the chicken in the flour and add to the pan.   
Saute until cooked through, about 3-5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Transfer to a plate and tent with aluminum foil.
In the same sauce pan, add the red onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally.  Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
  Turn the heat to high and deglaze the pan with the broth, wine, and lemon juice, scraping up the brown bits in the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook until the liquid starts to reduce, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a separate large skillet over medium-high heat.   Add the spinach and toss until cooked.  Season with salt to taste.  
Arrange the chicken on a platter, top with the chicken and the delicious lemon onion sauce.


Serve with your favorite sides, veggies only if you are eating a lower carbohydrate diet.  And if you haven't tried farro yet, I highly recommend it!  Enjoy!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment