Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Crema and Salsa Verde

I love tacos and I love shrimp, so why not a shrimp taco?  I've seen them on the menus of a few Mexican restaurants so I decided to try making my own at home. 

Mondays are meatless for us, but that doesn't necessarily mean strictly vegetarian.  It means we try to eat something beside beef, chicken, or pork and its a way we eat more fish/seafood at home too.  This week, shrimp was on sale at my grocery store so it was perfect.  Shrimp are so versatile and we love them - plus they were perfect in this dish.  The cabbage provided the crunchy texture I was looking for, the salsa verde (green salsa) was refreshing and provided a brightness to the dish.  The avocado crema added the creaminess you might expect when eating a taco (like from sour cream if you like that sort of thing - which we REALLY do).  Plus, everything was cooked completely on the grill.  Great for a hot summer day!

Everything about this recipe was delicious!  I get so excited when I create my own recipe and it comes out even better than I imagined.  I'm taking this one to my parents next week to make it for them.  I just know they are gonna love it!  And I hope you love it too!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah
 Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Cream and Salsa Verde
original recipe inspired by the following: 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/chipotle-shrimp-taco-with-avocado-salsa-verde-recipe/index.html
Salsa Verde:
1 small onion, quartered
1/2 jalapeno, seeded
1 garlic clove, smashed
2 large tomatillos, (about 8 ounces) husked, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tsp salt
 
Avocado Crema:
1 Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and mashed
1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used 2%)
juice of 1/2 of a lime (or more if you prefer)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped

For the shrimp:
1 T olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced (I used my garlic press)
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 pound medium sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
8-10 corn tortillas  (we definitely got 10 tacos based on the size of our shrimp)
more chopped cilantro and lime wedges for serving
The first thing I did was make the green salsa so that the flavors would be able to meld as I prepared the rest of the meal. 


If you've never worked with a tomatillo before, here is what one looks like after you remove the husk:

In a food processor (I only have a small one that attaches to my blender), add the onion, garlic, and jalepeno.
Pulse until finely chopped.

Roughly cut the tomatillos, then add them to the food processor too.

At this time, add the cilantro and salt also. 
Continue to pulse until the consistency you prefer.  I like mine to be pretty smooth with no large chunks. 
Set aside on the countertop or in the fridge until its time to compose the tacos.

Now time to get the shrimp marinading.  Combine the shrimp, salt, olive oil, chipotle pepper powder, and garlic in a large bowl.  Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.  Smells good already!


Last step - to make the avocado crema.  First mash the avocado in a small bowl. 


Add the greek yogurt, cilantro, salt, and lime juice until well combined.  Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.

Just another look...so yummy!  I love my avocados!!!  And I will always welcome a chance to substitute greek yogurt for sour cream while hiding the flavor difference. 


The toppings:  coleslaw mix (just plain, as is, for crunch - shredded cabbage is fine too), salsa verde and avocado crema.
Now to grill the shrimp.  Pre-heat your grill of medium high heat.  I used a grill pan designed to cook seafood and vegetables, lightly sprayed with cooking spray.  Cook your shrimp for about 2 min on each side or until they turn pink.  Be careful not to overcook your shrimp - they can become tough and chewy and you don't want that.


While I was cooking my shrimp, I also warmed up my corn tortillas. 

Looking good!  Almost ready...

And here's the finished shrimp...these are so flavorful I would eat them as is...probably the entire bowl because they were just that good.


To build a taco, place 3-4 shrimp on each tortilla (depending on size of shrimp) then layer your toppings in any order. 

So delicious!!!  Fresh, flavorful and even better the next day.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment