Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Abs like a freshman



Yup, that's what I did today - I taught a fitness class to a group of incoming freshmen that were all part of a special interest pre-orientation group on health and fitness.  I was all geared up to teach an hour long high intensity cardio interval class when they (my boss and the orientation leaders) informed me that nobody signed up to take the course - they were all afraid, or too tired from the last few days.  Oh please!  I remember when I was in college and thought I knew what "being tired" meant...but you grow and your learn. 

So back to my story...I was asked to teach the Ab class instead.  Okay - I'll do it!  I was so disappointment to hear that I wouldn't get the chance to teach that i was willing to do anything...even teach something I've never done before.  I've never taught a class exclusively on ab exercises.  And not only that, I hate teaching off-the-cuff.  My personality type really struggles with it.  I'm a planner with every thread of my being.  I create lesson plans and follow them for every class, so now I had to step out of my comfort zone and deliver.  And boy did I deliver!  I'm so happy to report that even with some cramped space, minimal equipment, and no plans to seen or anytime to even think about what I would do, I was able to pull off a 45-50 minute class exclusively on ab work!  Not only did it feel great to get back into the saddle and share my passion for fitness, but it was a great feeling to know that I could do it on a whim and be sucessful.  Plus, after having two kids, I'm in as good of or better shape than these 18 year olds! (both the women and men...there was about an even split).  Now that's an awesome feeling.

So I share all of this with you because I'm inspired now to post some ab exercises for you.  The links below, along with the list of exercises I have included, make up the class I taught today.  I did between 2-3 sets of each exercise.  Proper form is very important.  It's also important to warm up, cool down, and stretch.  Plus, always consult with your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.  One more tip - faster is not better.  Take your time, breathe, and drink water.  I hope you enjoy!

Happy Fitness!
Sarah
http://www.wikihow.com/images/e/e4/Do-Side-to-Side-Crunches-Step-1.jpg
Abs like a freshman

warm up:
3 sets of 8 each - jumping jacks, high knees, jump rope

standing ab work:
 - do 3 sets of 8 of each of these exercises http://beta.active.com/articles/sculpt-sexy-abs-in-15-minutes
and same with the 3 standing exercises in this link: http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=the_lose_your_love_handles_workout

floor work:
complete 3 sets of 8 each
 - crunches
 - reverse crunch with a leg lift
 - leg dip (single or double)
 - single leg lift side crunch (do on each side)
 - double leg lift side crunch  (do on each side)
 - v-sit ups
 - double crunch
 - bicycle crunches
 - supermans
 - planks (hold for 30 sec, rest for 10, do it again)
 - side planks (hold for 30 sec each side)

cool down and stretch all major muscle groups please!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment