Friday, February 22, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup


This is the perfect dish - protein, vegetables, low-calorie, low-fat, dump it and forget it.  Both kids loved it and the hubby requested the leftovers for lunch, (and he is NOT a leftover fan).  I found a similar recipe on Pinterest, but I really made it my own, adjusted it to my taste and added more vegetables to it.  You can make it as spicy as you want, but I wanted mine to have just a small kick so it was still very kid friendly.  You can serve this alone, with a side salad, or with a quesadilla or tostada for a Mexican fiesta.  So quick, easy, and yummy!  Enjoy!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
New recipe based on http://www.bakedbyrachel.com/2012/09/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup/ 
 
1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (I actually cooked 1.5 lbs of chicken in the broth, but left some of it out after shredding.  I can always use extra shredded chicken for the kids or for my lunches.)
15oz can diced tomatoes, drained
3/4 cup onion, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped (I had frozen peppers from my mother's garden I used up - they were yellow, but it doesn't make a difference)
1 chile in adobo, seeds removed, and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp chili powder
1  tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
3 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups of Mexican beer (I used Bruvado because that's what I had in my fridge, but I'm certain any beer would do.  And if you want to leave the beer out, then substitute more chicken stock)
1/2 cup water
8 oz of spinach, frozen or fresh (I used frozen leaf spinach, in a bag from Wegmans, I just threw it in frozen)
more salt and pepper to taste, if necessary
shredded cheese, tortilla strips, avocado, and light sour cream for topping

Throw everything in your crockpot, except for spinach and toppings.  Cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 7-8 hours.  Add the spinach in the last hour of cooking, or if you won't be home, add it at the beginning.  It honestly doesn't make much of a difference.

Before...
After cooking on high for 5 hours. 
Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and shred them (they just fall apart).  I had 3 breasts, 1.5 lbs, so I only added the meat from 2 breasts back into the pot.  I saved the extra shredded meat for a future meal (chicken tostadas...recipe to come this weekend!).  Stir to combine.  Taste to see if you need to add anymore salt or pepper. 
Serve soup by ladling about 2 cups of the soup in a bowl full of 1/4 cup of crushed tortilla chips.  Top with whatever you desire.  I just used cheese and a little more chips.  So yummy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment