Saturday, July 26, 2014

Grilled Salmon with Cucumber Salad

I love salmon...I mean I love lots of different types of seafood, but lately, I've been a a huge salmon kick.  Since it's summer outside and I hate turning on the oven to roast my salmon, I've been grilling it.

There are many ways to grill fish and some fish really require grilling in a foil packet.  But salmon is hearty and can easily be placed right one the hot grill.  The trick is to not touch it...just place it on the grill over medium heat, close the lid and walk away.  Don't move it around unless your grill goes berserk, starts shooting flames, and sets the fish on fire (yes, this has happened to me, well actually my husband).  It usually takes about 12-15 minutes, depending on whether you are cooking a single filet or a larger piece (such as 4-6 servings, not pre-portioned).  And I really like doing it this way because the skin burns to a crisp and easily comes off (I HATE eating the skin and prefer to not remove it myself when raw...actually this would make it quite the disaster on the grill unless you cook it on foil).

So anyway, there are lots of good tips out there on grilling seafood and salmon in particular.  This cucumber salad is the perfect summer accompaniment.  Its light, refreshing, and the cucumber adds great texture to the dish.  Its great for entertaining or just for a quick weeknight meal.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

Grilled Salmon with Cucumber Salad
an original recipe from Sarah that serves 4

1.5 lbs of wild-caught, or responsibly farm raised, Salmon
seasonings of your choice, but minimally salt and pepper (I typically use my favorite terriyaki or just some onion and garlic powder)

1/2 english cucumber, cut in half and thinly sliced
1/2 medium sized sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 T Greek yogurt
1 T red wine vinegar
1-2 T fresh dill, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Season the salmon to your liking, or marinade for 30 minutes before grilling.  In the meantime, make the cucumber salad.   Start with whisking together the yogurt, vinegar, dill, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl.  Add the cucumber and onion and stir until well combined.  Allow the salad to sit in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes in order for the flavors to meld.

And now for the salmon...Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.   (I know I probably don't have to say this, but make sure your grill is clean to prevent the salmon from sticking).   Reduce the heat to medium, place the salmon on the grill, skin side down and close the lid.  Now walk away.  You can check on it every 3-5 minutes, but don't move it unless you absolutely have to.  Just let it cook and remove once the fish easily flakes, usually 12-15 minutes, depending on size and thickness.  Remove the salmon from the grill with a large spatula.  Feel free to remove the skin now, before serving,  or serve it as is with a HUGE scoop of the cucumber salad.  Delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment