Sunday, July 27, 2014

Clean Eating Tuna Salad

I love tuna salad, I always have.  I've eaten it my whole life, while pregnant, and now my kids love it and request it for lunch!   Tuna has always been my "go to" at any sub shop or diner.  I have a thing against lunch meat (aka cold cuts) and tuna is one of the alternatives out there.  The only problem is that I love the tuna made with my favorite mayonnaise (it rhymes with Shmellmens).   Most tuna salads are loaded with fat and calories from the mayonnaise.  I've always been curious about alternatives, but been too afraid to try, thinking I would totally hate it.  Well I'm here to say that this was amazingly delicious!  I did not miss my mayo...it was yummy!  I had it three days in a row!!!  And my hubby loves it too...it's on the lunch menu again this week.  So if you are looking for a healthier and delicious alternative to the typical tuna, you have to give this a try!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

Clean Eating Tuna Salad
Sarah's version was inspired by http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-tuna-salad/

3 cans of water packed albacore tuna, drained
1/2 cup nonfat Green yogurt
2 T lemon juice
1 T Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup chopped dill pickle (with juices)
1/2 small sweet onion, minced
1 hard boiled egg, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium sized bowl, whisk the Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add the shredded carrot, dill pickle, egg, onion and tuna.
Mix until well combined. Taste to check for seasoning and add more salt & pepper if needed. Serve with multigrain crackers, on a salad, or on your favorite whole grain bread or wrap. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment