Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year!!! - Healthy Home Reflections

Happy New Year!  Thank you to all my readers for following my efforts in obtaining a healthier lifestyle for me and my family.  I can't believe that a year has already passed!!!  I wanted to take this time to reflect upon the past year and all that the revolution has done.

First year of healthy home:  The positive effects on my family

2013 and the Healthy Home Revolution has brought 52 weeks of meal plans and very few meals repeated - crazy!   That means we are eating many more home cooked meals versus take out or going out - this gives me full control over the fat, sugar, and salt content of our food, not to mention portion size.

I now have a 4 year old who loves to cook and bake with me, who likes to try new things, who wants to eat healthier, and who won't eat dessert before his "healthy food" (protein, carbs, veggies, fruit).  This little man has made a one-eighty, from being a picky eater to being more adventurous and knowledgable about food.  

My toddler girl, almost 2, spent the last year eating solids for the first time.  She now has been exposed to all sorts of flavors and although she can be picky at times like many toddlers, she is still willing to taste things.  

Exercise is now a habit.  I workout 6-7 days a week and I'm in the best cardiovascular shape of my life.  If I skip a day or two I don't feel the same.  I can even do the Insanity workouts where as in the beginning of 2013 I couldn't even get through the warm up.  Both kids exercise with me and know what it means when mommy is going to do her exercises.   They love it, joining in, laughing and cooperating through most my 40 min videos (some pauses needed).  My 4 year old knows how to do push ups, burpees, butt kicks, jumping jacks, high knees, etc; my toddler can imitate most moves from my Insanity DVDs.   My expectation of their behavior and cooperation became theirs.  

I haven't mentioned my husband much here - he has made many small changes of his own that have added up to a significant difference for him.  I can say that I see him think twice about what he orders at restaurant, where as before he was still eating like a teenager all of the time.  He eats breakfast now, doesn't skip meals, and has cut back on his portion sizes.  He has a few personal goals of his own, but I'll leave those for him to share.

So thank you again for trying out my recipes and taking my tips to heart.  I love having a community of virtual friends who have a common goal:  living a healthier life.   Here's to 1 year of the Healthy Home Revolution down, and the rest of our lives to go!!!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment