Saturday, January 18, 2014

The 7-ingredient Cleanse - Review and Tips

Earlier this week I posted about a 7-ingredient cleanse I discovered in Vegetarian Times Magazine.    Click below to read more about it:
 http://deliciouslydomesticdining.blogspot.com/2014/01/7-ingredient-cleanse.html

I really enjoyed this - I felt great, I liked the food I was eating, I wasn't hungry, and I saw a difference in my skin and body.  None of that usual end-of-the-day bloat.  And apparently my husband loved it too!  He got out of the shower one morning and suggested we do it every week!!!  Are you kidding me?  Who kidnapped my real husband?!?!  Just kidding - I'm excited that he is so in to it.  And this gives me the go to get creative with my 7-ingredients (I've already been searching the Pinterest archives).  We are most likely going to do it every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  I promise to keep other recipes coming also, which I will experiment with on the other days of the week. 

Please give it a try!  Here are my tips on making the cleanse stress free:

- plan ahead:  prepare your vegetables and other ingredients in advance so that its easy to throw a smoothie together.  Also cook or make the recipes on the weekend for the following week.  All of the recipes can be made ahead except for the smoothie.

- purchase ingredients that are already prepped for you, if you can and they are affordable.  I purchased baby spinach pre-washed in a big container from my wholefoods store.  I also found very affordable cooked lentils and cooked beets in the refrigerator section of trader joe's.  Highly recommend!!!  These pre-cooked lentils are great for any lentil salad, and the beets are perfect for the smoothies and to add to any salads.

- instead of fresh blueberries, opt for frozen blueberries for your smoothies.  I used frozen and kept out the ice cubes).

- Be kind to your body:  ease yourself into the cleanse, and slowly re-introduce ingredients.  I recommend going sugar free the day before you cleanse.  I also recommend adding gluten, dairy, and sugar back into your diet very slowly, not all at once.  You may not even want to add them back in one day, but perhaps over the course of a few days.  Listen to your body as you add these food groups back into your diet and take them back out if necessary.  Some people discover that they are more sensitive to gluten, dairy, and/or sugar than they ever realized once they have done a cleanse like this. Since this cleanse is for vegetarians, I added protein back into my diet first.  I continued to omit any sugar, dairy, or gluten from my diet that 1st day after the cleanse.  Then I added a little bit of dairy and gluten the next day.  As I always say, do what works for you and makes you feel good.

Overall, I highly recommend this cleanse for anyone who wants to try one out.  I know that my lifestyle is too active for a juice or smoothie cleanse - I need more calories and it wouldn't be healthy for me.  So this was perfect!  Give it a try and please contact me if you have any questions about it.

Happy Cleansing!
Sarah

The Broccoli Stir-Fry with Avocado-Ginger Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment