Thursday, February 2, 2012

Whole wheat banana chocolate chip muffins

Owen loves "cake" and those of you who have followed my blog know that we make lots of muffins and call them cupcakes.  He doesn't know the difference and its another way for me to get fruits and veggies into his growing body.  Two-year olds can be picky eaters at times, so it calls for some creativity.  I tweaked this recipe from  a regular banana muffin recipe at www.catcancook.com.  I make my muffins  with whole wheat flour and add applesauce for an extra moist cake.  I also added some mini-chocolate chips to bribe my toddler even more.  We loved them!

Whole-wheat banana chocolate chip "cupcakes"
3 mashed bananas
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1/3 cup melted butter  (you could substitute canola oil for a more heart-healthy fat)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.   Combine the banana, apple sauce, egg, sugar and butter in a large bowl with a spoon until well incorporated.  In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients just until combined, being careful not to over mix (I find that this makes a softer and more tender muffin).   Add chocolate chips, again being careful not to over mix.  Pour batter into a muffin tin sprayed with cooking spray (I used Pam baking spray) and bake for 18-20 min.  Makes 12 "cupcakes". 

No comments:

Post a Comment