Thursday, February 2, 2012

Blueberry Yogurt Pound Cake

Owen loves to bake and I wanted to make something sweet that was also somewhat nutritious.  I had some fresh blueberries that needed to be used up and found a recipe in my "the best of Cooking Light" cookbook (2004).  I altered the recipe a bit according to what I had in my kitchen and I skipped the icing (we don't need the extra sugar), but if I was serving this at a party I would definitely include it.  My cake is moist and delicious from fat-free Greek yogurt and light sour cream, with the texture of a pound cake sans the calories.  I hope that you enjoy it!!!

Blueberry Yogurt Pound Cake

2 cups of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup light sour cream
3 large eggs
1 egg white
3 cups all-purpose flour, divided (you'll take out 2 tablespoons and toss it with the blueberries to help suspend them in the cake)
2 cups of fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces of fat free Greek yogurt (I had strawberry, but you can use anything in your fridge)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cooking spray (I use Pam for baking)

Preheat your oven to 350 and coat a 10 inch tube pan with cooking spray.  Beat the sugar, butter, and sour cream until well blended.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  In a separate bowl, combine the blueberries with 2 tablespoons of the flour.  In another bowl combine the remaining flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Alternate adding the flour mixture and the yogurt to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.  Fold in the blueberries and vanilla.  Pour into your baking pan and make for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 min or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a serving dish.  Yummy!!!

(If you want to ice the cake, combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 4 teaspoons of water or lemon juice and drizzle over the warm cake.)

No comments:

Post a Comment