Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Healthy Crockpot BBQ Chicken with Vegetables

This recipe is a winner - not only because it's delicious and healthy, but because it makes two meals out of one recipe.  Plus you have the option to freeze them, or make one today and freeze the other for another week.  Love that!!!

I played around with the healthier BBQ sauce so that it would taste more like the BBQ sauces I am familiar with.  I left out any spicy ingredients because my kids were going to eat it, but if you like spicy things, you should add some red pepper flakes.   I loved it!  I served it over some whole wheat couscous, but it would be delicious over brown rice or quinoa too.

Please let me know if you give this one a try and give me some feedback.  I would love to hear from you!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah


Healthy Crockpot BBQ Chicken with Vegetables
 my version of this recipe was inspired by http://www.mamaandbabylove.com/2011/04/05/freezer-cooking-with-slow-cooker-recipes/

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, about 2 cups
1 large green pepper, roughly chopped, about 2 cups
1 large red pepper, roughly chopped, about 1 cup
2 small to medium sized zucchinis, roughly chopped, about 2 cups(I usually chop these really small since my entire family has themselves convinced that they don't like zucchini - I have, however, successfully sneaked it into several dinners with no one the wiser).
2 medium onions, chopped, about 2 cups
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of all fat
28 oz can of tomato sauce
4 T brown sugar
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 T plain yellow mustard (not the powder, the kind in your fridge)
1 T garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 T of corn starch (or any thicker you would like to use)

Chop up all your veggies and divide them evenly among two freezer bags, or between 1 freezer bag and your crockpot (as I did in the photos).  Quick tip: be sure to label and date your bag before you start filling it up.


Place 1 pound of chicken thighs in each container.  Now mix up the ingredients for your healthier BBQ sauce.  Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper with a whisk until well combined.  Add the corn starch and whisk until it disappears.  Pour half the sauce in each container. 

When you are ready to cook it, you can just place the contents of your frozen bag in the crockpot.

 Cook on high for 4-6 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours depending on your slow cooker.


 I served mine over some whole wheat couscous.  Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment