Saturday, June 25, 2011

Muffins

I love muffins - I can eat them for breakfast, for a snack, or for dessert.  And my toddler calls them "cake" because its the only kind of cake I usually have around the house.  Since they are so versatile, I wanted to find a couple recipes that were delicious but also low in sugar and healthy for you.  What can be better than that?  So here are two of my favorite muffin recipes that I make for my family.  More "cake" please!

Whole-Wheat Banana Oatmeal Muffins
These muffins are awesome, a definite family favorite.  I make them at least every other week and its a great way to use up your rotten bananas.  Sometimes I add blueberries, nuts, or chocolate chips.  I've made a few changes from the original recipe, but listed the link below.  Enjoy!

1/2 c  uncooked oatmeal
1/2 c milk
1/4 c canola oil
1 egg
1 c mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium)
1/3 c sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425 and grease a muffins tin (I always use Baking Pam - its greases and flours your pans in one spray - awesome!).  In a medium bowl combine oats and milk; set aside until milk is absorbed (about 10 min).  Then add oil, egg and banana.  Set aside.  In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix until combined.  Scoop into muffin tin (I use an ice cream scoop) and bake for 15 min or until center comes out clean.  Makes 12 muffins. 


http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,174,155182-235201,00.html


Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
I just made these for the first time yesterday -  chock full of fresh, juicy blueberries!   Feel free to change up the fruit and yogurt combinations.  Try strawberries and strawberry yogurt, etc.   Great way to sneak more fruit into your child's diet too - my son's hands were purple after eating two of them fresh out of the oven.   Enjoy!

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 - 8 ounce container of blueberry flavored non-fat Greek yogurt
1 egg
1 overripe banana, mashed (since I cut the sugar in half, I added a banana for extra sweetness and moisture)
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 T melted butter
2 c blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin tins.  Stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.  In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, egg, banana, vanilla and butter.  gradually add in the flour mixture and mix just until combined.  The batter will be VERY thick so don't be alarmed.  Add the blueberries and mix again.  Scoop into muffin tin and bake for 23-25min.  Makes 12 muffins.

The original recipe can be found at:  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/jackys-fruit-and-yogurt-muffins/detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment