Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Teriyaki Salmon

Oh my goodness guys...I have a GOOD one for you!!!  This one is beyond delicious!  It had everyone in the family, including the kids, asking for more!!!  I stumbled upon a recipe on pinterest and decided to make it my own.  I made it a couple weeks ago and haven't stopped thinking about it...I am actually craving it.  So any healthy recipe that your body is craving and excited to eat is a GREAT recipe.  Right???   It's so insanely yummy that I'm making it again this week!  It's a must try - even if you don't traditionally like salmon, this one might change your mind.  Enjoy!

Happy Cooking!
Sarah

Teriyaki Salmon
my version of the recipe is based on http://damndelicious.net/2012/05/30/teriyaki-salmon-with-sriracha-cream-sauce/
1 lb of wild caught salmon

For the teriyaki sauce:
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 T honey
1 T cornstarch (optional)

For the siracha cream sauce:
1/2 cup 2 % greek yogurt
1/4 cup of olive oil mayonnaise
2 T of siracha sauce (maybe more, maybe less depending on your taste for spicy food)
1/4 cup of thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro

The first thing I did was make my version, (a lower fat, healthier version), of the siracha cream sauce.  In a small bowl, mix together the greek yogurt, mayonnaise, siracha, green onions and cilantro.  Cover in plastic wrap and allow the flavors to meld in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until you serve dinner.  It will stay good for up to 3 days.

In the meantime, make your teriyaki sauce.  In a medium saucepan, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, ground ginger, garlic powder, and honey.  Bring the sauce/marinade to a boil over medium heat and continue to cook until it thickens slightly.  (I chose not to use cornstarch but you can easily add a cornstarch slurry, 1 T cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup of water, to thicken like a traditional teriyaki you would find at an Asian restaurant.  I don't mind a thinner marinade/sauce).

Once thickened to your liking, about 10 minutes or so, remove the pan from the heat and allow the sauce to cool to room temperature.  Once cool, place the salmon in a ziplock bag or bowl and pour the teriyaki marinade/sauce over the fish.  Place in the refrigerator and allow the fish to marinade for 30 minutes up to over night.  I only marinaded mine for 45 minutes and it was chock full of flavor!  And you'll see why...

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Place the salmon and all the marinade/sauce in a greased baking dish (I used cooking spray).  Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes, or until it flakes easily with a fork.  



Serve immediately with your favorite sides and a hefty serving of the siracha cream sauce, should you desire.  I served ours with brown rice and roasted broccoli.  So yummy!!!


My husband prefers his siracha cream sauce on the side, and some extra teriyaki on the top!  Next time I'm going to double the recipe in hopes of some leftovers.  Making it again tomorrow and I can't wait!  I hope you guys like it as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment