Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oatmeal

I love pumpkin spice ANYTHING in the Fall!!!
Who's with me??
So I decided to make some oatmeal this week for breakfast.
The house smelled amazing this morning and I had leftovers for the next 2 days.

The best part about this recipe?  
You can make it on the stove top or overnight in the crockpot.

What's the difference?
In the crockpot the steel cut oats have a chance to cook longer and get much softer, so the texture becomes more like real oatmeal - dare I say a bit more mushy.
On the stovetop, they retain their texture - I personally LOVE the meatyness of a steel cut oat versus regular oatmeal.  

Either way, I hope you love them!!
Happy Cooking!
Sarah


Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oatmeal - STOVE TOP VERSION
3 cups of water
1.5 cups steel cut oats
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie or apple pie spice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (just 100% pumpkin)
1 T maple syrup

In a large pan, bring the water to a boil (I used the pot I usually boil water in for pasta....steel cut oats are known for boiling over...I don't want a mess on my stove!!).  
Add the oats, spice, salt, and vanilla - stir and simmer for 25 minutes.  Stir occasionally as it cooks.

Add the canned pumpkin and maple syrup - stir until well mixed.  Allow it to cook for an additional 5 minutes (add more water if starting to dry out).  

Take off of the heat and allow to stand for 1 minute before serving.
Enjoy!!


Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oatmeal - CROCKPOT VERSION

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing! I still have a bag of pumpkin in the deep freeze; I can try it out.

    ReplyDelete