Monday, July 11, 2011

fast summer menu ideas

While I don't have any new recipes for you from the past week, I have some menu ideas that are fast and perfect for the summer time.  Why not utilize your grill while you can?  In Miami we can grill out year round, but most of my family lives in upstate New York and look forward to the summer each year to start grilling again. 
We had a busy four day week after the holiday weekend so I planned accordingly and took some help from the store.  Sometimes half the battle is just deciding what to eat.  Here's what I fixed this past week, using what was on sale at my local grocery store.

Tuesday:  cheeseburgers (ground beef was on sale so I made my own patties, mixing 1 lb of 80% ground beef with  1 1/2 tablespoons of monreal steak seasoning, form patties and grill - makes 4 patties), leftover sides from 4th of July picnic (or make your favorite sides), and seedless watermelon.

Wednesday:  Grilled teriyaki chicken, (whole foods had whole split chickens already marinated in ginger teriyaki sauce for $1.99 a pound - total steal!  But go with what ever is on sale that week and get a marinade in a bottle), roasted broccoli and carrots (toss with olive oil, garlic and salt and roast for 15 to 20 min at 400 degrees), and rice pilaf (I prefer Near East brand brown rice and orzo pilaf).

Thursday:  Grilled chimichurri skirt steak (I made the same chimichurri marinade that I've previously posted and marinated the steak for 48 hours - altough it may be difficult to find a skirt steak in your grocery store, it is so worth it - melts in your mouth tender), roasted potatoes, (cut red potatoes into bite sized cubes, skin on, toss in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and roast for 25-35 min at 400 degrees), mixed green salad with your favorite toppings.

Friday:  Pizza night - whole foods had oven ready cheese pizzas on sale for $5, and a package of 6 wings for $2.50.  I bought nitrate free pepperoni and a can of mushrooms to throw on the top, but you can get whatever toppings are your favorite.  I served the pizza and wings with a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment